Monday, September 25, 2017

Fine weather

The monsoons have backed off, and we've had lovely days in the high 60s, blue skies with lots of clouds. No need for a fire at night. Indian summer: my favorite time of year. Long may it last!

C. canned another batch of veg soup today. There was enough left over for dinner – I think it was the best batch ever.

She's working on more tomato sauce now. I'm to stir the soup pot of paste tomatoes while she is in the shower. She'll put herbs in and let it simmer overnight, and can it tomorrow.

She spent the day picking tomatillos and digging spuds, and I cleaned up the messy area outside the rabbit room. Our boy and family are coming up tomorrow to help with the harvest, so I ventured into the basement and cleaned up the "ice room," our root cellar area. I was pleased with myself. I haven't been down there in a couple of years. I don't do stairs anymore, and these are a steep set of 20 concrete steps. There's an old-school pipe handrail, though, and I took it slowly. Hah. Maybe I'll get on the roof next.

We'll ask the kids to dig carrots, beets and parsnips, pack them in buckets of moist sand, and haul  them to the basement. And dig spuds. And move the duck house around the building to the rooster yard....

We're lucky to have family to help us out with the heavy work around the place.

The spuds will cure for a few days outside, and we'll get them to the basement, too.

Yesterday I cut all the cabbages, pulled off their outer leaves, and hosed dirt, aphids, earwigs and slugs off. We've got about 30, some of them bigger than basketballs. They'll become sauerkraut, except for a few in perfect shape that can be wrapped in newspaper and go to the root cellar for storage.

C. cut all the winter squash, and fed the vines to the goats. And I picked the field corn and cut the stalks for the goats and sheep. I'm pulling the husks back and hanging the ears to dry in the entryway.

Our venerable microwave/convection oven died. C. found another for $25 on Craig's List, and the microwave guy gave us some apples, too. C. plans to make apple cider vinegar, after pricing the real stuff ("with the mother") for her pickle-making. You can't buy gallons of the good stuff – it comes in quarts for about $5, and she uses lots of it.

Our fine son-in-law brought us two loads of firewood. He's batching it for a week while Em and Liam are in Portland getting some specialized medical treatment. He's such a good guy. C. will fire up the chainsaw and cut the wood into stove lengths, and I'll stack it on the porch.

Two eggs today; four yesterday.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you shut down squidglass for good? I bought several pendants from you a couple years ago and loved them. I've kept up with your blog since. You never fail to make me laugh.
    Do you ever make custom jewelry? I love Ravens and would love to have a pendant of one. I know you've been having health problems so maybe that's why you shut down your shop? Just thought I would check with you just in case. Looks like you guys had a great harvest as usual this year! C never ceases to amaze me with all her planting and canning! Happy fall to you both!

    Vonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vonne - Gosh, squidglass seems like another life. I lost heart when the economy hiccuped in 2008 and sales dwindled away. Then I moved to the country and got really busy, then sick. It's always something! I guess I lost faith in people's interest in my stuff. "Sometimes when I'm freestyling... I lose... confidence," as they say on "Flight of the Conchords." I do have hundreds of pendants around here, and could certainly look for ravens. Any color preference?

      I've resurrected the shop for short periods, but never found my "groove" again. Do you suppose other folks would be interested if I got back to work again? I certainly have the time to do something in the studio.

      Yes, C. is a powerhouse. Thanks for reading the blog!

      Su

      Delete
    2. Hi! Well, I love your pendants and I’m sure there’s a lot of others out there who would love them too. Why not open the store again and see how many hits you get? People are all about hand made items these day and the holidays are coming up. I’d definitely be interested in pendants as Xmas gifts. As for colors, I like warm tones generally. Right now though I’m a bit obsessed with gray and black, might have something to do with my gray and white hair. :)

      I just read the post about your mom, sending positive vibes her way. My 86 yr old Mom is recovering from a close call with permanent dialysis, so far, so good. I bet she’s tired of all of us questioning her about her pee ml though.

      Vonne

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete