Monday, November 20, 2017

Midnight in the land of sauerkraut

At midnight last night, C. decided to start the sauerkraut.


No, I don't know why midnight was the magic time, and I personally was ready to go to bed, but I got caught up in it, too.

She fired up The Robot, and started slicing away.



 The yellow glove is covering the wrist brace she's wearing after hurting her arm splitting wood.


The hardest part, after cutting the core out of these big cabbages, is deciding the slicing direction of the chunks of kraut. Purists slice by hand. We aren't that pure.

I removed the outer leaves and cores, and quartered the heads, then helped smash and juice the shredded leaves with a one-handled rolling pin.

We filled a six-gallon crock with five or six cabbages, covered it with a cloth and a plate, and left it overnight to produce brine.

I'm glad she decided to tackle the job. We've been kind of low lately, having a hard time getting started doing the many jobs that should be done. And the weather is dreary.

In other news, we had pie. I love pie.


It was apple, and C. made her first gluten-free crust. The recipe is here. She said it was a little awkward to work with, but doable, and pretty dang good.

4 comments:

  1. I have a few cabbages out in our veg plot and was thinking about having a go at making sauerkraut, and after reading how easy it is to do I am definitely going to have a go. Won't be doing it at midnight though as have early starts. Thanks for inspiring me to try making sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks scrump, Su. Chelaye must be a baker extraordinaire. As for the sauerkraut, which I love, by midnight I have generally been asleep for about four hours. So I salute you two for doing something so creative and constructive at that (to me) very late hour.

    Such a blech day today. I went out to a new place in Cheney for breakfast with Kyle (who insisted on paying, because "It's Thanksgiving"), and it was good. The place, called Benes, specializes in Eggs Benedict of all stripes. I had the classic, and it was tasty, indeed. Good way to start off an ugly, foggy, drippy, cold morning. Soon I'll feed the animals and we'll all take a nap, and then I'll spend the evening making a playlist for Mother's 90th birthday party. Not exactly setting the world on fire, but it's a day. Keep warm and enjoy at least a book or two in the midst of all that toiling in the kitchen. Wish you could see Piper right now: She's exhausted Clooney's limited reserves of goodwill (in other words, she's chased, bitten, butted, catapulted, and otherwise harried poor kitty in every possible way), so she has to keep herself busy. She's throwing a racquetball all over the room and running after it, growling every once in a while as if she plans to disembowel it when she finally catches it (if, indeed, it has bowels). She is a cheerful, funny, insane little dog. I love her madly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brilliant at regular pie crust (which I have never mastered) and it was noble of her to venture into the gluten-free version.

      Yes, we're up at all hours. I thought I'd be an early riser in my old age, but noooooo. Sleep all the damn time. Especially with all the grey weather.

      Do send my birthday regards to Faysie.

      You are lucky in your puppy. Not so sure in the cat, after she blacked your eyes.

      Delete