Thursday, July 12, 2018

Midsummer

The days pass in a flurry of pea-picking. I pick peas every day, and often spend evenings shelling peas, or getting snap peas ready for the drier or the canner.

C.  got the pressure canner out for the first time yesterday, and did two batches of – wait for it – peas. We freeze most of our shelled peas, but canned (mushy!) peas tasted good last winter, so we're doing a few jars.


We've harvested a couple of small, sweet cabbages (White Moskovskaya), lots and lots of salad greens, one summer squash, and alpine strawberries so far this year. And peas. I love peas.


The huge old lavender bush flowered and we cut and dried a bunch. C. has been drying greens for rabbit hay for a while now, as well as cherries from Emma, herbs for us and greens for dogs.





And Bowie, the rubber boa snake, is still here! We caught him moseying toward the chicken house, looking for some young mice or gophers to eat. I've seen the toad, as well. These two are very welcome here, unlike deer, mosquitos and raccoons. 

It's too hot to garden until evening. I go out and change the water lines, and come back in to the semi-cool to read. I've discovered the online library at opencatalog.org, and use the app Aldiko to read on my cell phone. They have many medieval mysteries, which I'm into lately.

So I'm still here! And will try to post about some of our more interesting happenings soon.



1 comment:

  1. It is nice to read a post from you, and hope your health is holding up alright now we have the summer heat.
    I am impressed by your pea project, and am promising myself that next year I shall make a better effort with growing peas. We are doing other things this year, so have not grown any crops for winter storage.

    ReplyDelete