Sunday, September 16, 2018

Might freeze tonight

So I'm sitting here listening to music, loud.

Janiva Magness, "Eat the Lunch You Brought."

Clara Ward Singers, "Traveling Shoes."

Bonnie Raitt and Ruthie Foster, "Angel From Montgomery."

John Hiatt, "Tiki Bar."

Ruthie Foster, "Death Came A-Knocking."

Leslie West, "Stormy Monday." 

Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows."

Ruthie Foster and Robben Ford, "Stormy Monday."

Vaughn Brothers, "White Boots."

We're betting that freezing temperatures won't hit the garden tonight. The forecast says 34 degrees, with patches of frost in the valleys. Some years we gallop madly around draping plastic sheeting over the tenderest plants, but I think we'll play it cool and just pick all the green tomatoes when the forecast looks more serious. Fingers crossed, because we have a lot of green fruit out there.

I picked almost-ripe tomatoes today, and green beans and a few strawberries. And brought in the potted plants.

Yesterday we hit the book sale, then hauled in 25 very heavy cabbages. I'm hoping to give some of those cabbages away, since we have a 10-gallon crock of sauerkraut percolating in the kitchen, as well as a batch of cabbage-rich borscht in jars in the pantry. And there are a few more cabbages in the garden!

C. canned 10 pints of chili sauce.

5 comments:

  1. I am late for starting my day.....the reason being that I simply had to listen to that list of music you posted up in your blog, which had me jigging about in my computer chair. WOW! That was real 'wake the brain cells up' music, and thoroughly enjoyable.

    We are still in late summer here, and I find it fascinating that you are starting to bed down for the winter. But well done for getting such a good veg crop harvest, .... I am thinking about having a go at making sauerkraut, but had to buy a cabbage from the supermarket as we have none here this year. Not to worry, there is always next year, and I am already planning my planting strategy. It is nice to have a year off from the veg garden but I have missed not having harvests coming into the kitchen.

    Hope that frost held off. I have been reading your blogs but not had the words in my head to make comments with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the music list! I think some cabbage rolls should be made up. We've had snow already. It's cold and miserable all week. I've pulled all the tomatoes and beans, that's all I planted this year. Will be pulling all the potted flowers sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are keeping well, sending love and hugs to you. Vera x

    ReplyDelete