Thursday, February 15, 2018

February is the longest month

Spring is just around the corner. The corner way, way down over there. I can almost see it. Just on the other side of that pile of snow...

C. started onion seeds, and they've popped up in their skinny glory. They are Dakota Tears, from Fedco, and good keepers. We had storage problems with our usual varieties over the winter, so we're trying this one.
The wire is to ward off mice, who like to decapitate a whole flat of seedlings at a time.

Come May, C. will be humped up over the onion bed, poking these little guys into the soil. Kind of like doing a hair implant.

The kids have been up several times lately, and Liam has been happy and engaged, making lots of eye contact with his old grandmas, and having fun. We've finally figured out his sense of humor, and make him laugh and laugh. We try to stop before he barfs.




What a great kid!

I've been working on my income taxes, which is a huge and ugly undertaking. This is my first year as a disabled person, and I am struggling with the rules, the forms, the tables, and the obfuscation of any kind of sense behind the thing. I may need professional help. And therapy, afterward.

It's chilly – I think the building has finally internalized the cold, so it takes a long time to warm the old heap of bricks.

Come on, spring!




3 comments:

  1. Lester is struggling to get his tax forms sorted out, and our health forms. And they are all in French, so double struggles.
    'Obfuscation' ...what a fabulous word!

    You are right about February being a long month. Although we have not had the heavy snow that you have had we have had lashings of rain, high winds, freezing cold, and not much sun. Desperately looking forward to Spring as well.

    You write well. You will survive. Your spirit is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obfuscation-I've read two blogs this morning that used that word-I had to look it up-it's not a word in my vocab.lol How are you guys doing? We are soooooooooooo sick of the snow up here. Hubby is out of commission at the moment with spinal stenosis- so I have to do all the shovelling myself. I was out last week looking at the 10" on our driveway thinking this is going to take me a couple of hours. I managed to shovel one shovel width down to the front sidewalk. I was standing there taking a breather when a fire truck came down the street. They stopped, 5 firefighter jumped out of the truck with snow shovels and had my driveway shovelled in 5 minutes!! Love those guys, definitely made my day!! Expecting more snow today, tomorrow and Sunday. Yuck! Well, stay warm and walk carefully outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Vera, I'm imagining adding a foreign language to my tax troubles. Bureaucrat-ese French. Is it at all romantic? It would at least be funny. Wouldn't it? Hmmm.

    Yeah, obfuscation. My journalism prof, a man of many pithy sayings, told us to "eschew obfuscation." Also, to follow the money. And that controversy comes in swirls. Good man.

    Yes, we will survive. In the meantime, though, there may be complaining. Keep your beak up, as my Aunt Rose always said.

    Janice, I've always considered firefighters true heroes, and this bears it out! What great folks! You might call and ask them to stop back by Sunday, and bring their shovels.

    We don't believe in shoveling – just pack it down and walk slowly. But we live in the country.

    I'm going to sit in front of the TV and watch gardening shows and eat chocolate until the weather improves.

    ReplyDelete