Thursday, March 29, 2018

Spring fussing



We're keeping busy with garden prep work here. The garden still has a bit of snow and lots of winter detritus, so we're doing our gardening indoors.




I've built a big ugly shelving unit in the dining room for starting seeds. It's covered with quarter-inch hardware cloth to keep the mice out, and is made from pallet wood and scraps, so it is no thing of beauty. We call it the cage, or the monstrosity. It holds 12 flats, and could hold four more if I added a shelf and more lights.

The fixtures are ordinary (cheap!) 4-foot fluorescent shop lights, converted to LEDs (I just ripped out the ballasts and did a little simple rewiring). The bulbs should last and stay bright for years and years, which is good since they are $10 each. I bought four bulbs last year and eight this year from these guys. The bulbs are wonderful, with plastic and metal covers instead of glass. (I'm not a fan of plastic, generally, but if you've ever had a glass fluorescent tube break and scatter thin shards everywhere, you'll appreciate these, too. Be sure to buy 5000K frosted bulbs if you plan to start seeds under them. The fixtures came from yard sales – and I bummed a few from DD Emma. They can be beat up and non-working, as long as the wires and "tombstone" bulb-holders are in decent shape.)

Tiny tomato plants

The yellow hose at left is for watering. It hooks up to the kitchen tap.

So we're puttering. The wood stove is still going, since it's chilly, if not downright cold.

Em is on a five-day road trip, so we're watching her three dogs. I did try to talk her into taking the dogs along, and leaving 2-year-old Liam with us, but noooooooo.

It isn't great fun since Lola, the black shepherd, is well-behaved but can't be trusted with chickens and Arnold, the Basenji/kangaroo, has a hideous bark/howl/chirp that he uses way too much, may run off, and will lift his leg in the house. Bono, the scratchy little Shih Tzu mix, is good as gold but will pine for his person. So Arnie is staying outside with Earl, and we try to be extra attentive with Bono.

I am trying to love Arnold, but it is a hard road.

We went to town yesterday to dig up more of our cottage garden at the Ancestral Home. Our grown boy, who is in the process of buying the place (fingers crossed!), is not a gardener and plans to replace the roses, shrubs and perennials – with lawn.

I know. I know. We tried to raise him right. I blame society. And maybe the public schools.

On the positive side, he is a kind and considerate person, adores his little family and is good to his ancient parents.

So we dug plants, and marveled at our 18-month-old granddaughter who rampaged through the house and climbed onto the coffee table to dance. This made me so tired I had to go home and lie down.

C. is working on putting the rescued plants into the ground. I'm still traumatized at the thought of keeping up with that terrifying and very cute toddler. Sheesh.







3 comments:

  1. Lovely post again. Made me smile and feel warm inside. It has been a good day but a long one. Think I need to go to bed because my bones need to stop having to do things!
    Very useful looking seed starting unit by the way. Do you ship to France? If so, could do with one of those units over here. No seeds started here yet. Still on very slow go with anything to do with getting my hands into the soil. Been crocheting, and making cheese instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would love to make cheese like you do! We get gallons of cow's milk from a neighbor so we have the raw materials. It seems daunting, though, and exacting. I am very sloppy with measuring and cooking and temperatures and numbers. Is there a sort of cheese with very loose requirements?

    My seedling stand is really very tacky – note that there are no close-ups in decent light. It's definitely not worth shipping to France! The mice make the cage necessary, but the wire and doors are such a pain! I would so love to have an elegant built-from-scratch-and-everything-fits sort of open seedling stand with pulleys to raise the lights. In a dark stain. Brass hardware. In my dreams :)

    I've read that contact with dirt and the earth is beneficial to health – see "grounding" on youtube. And since the advent of plastic in shoes, people are getting much less of that. You and I must have a real "earth" deficiency after this long winter. I spend yesterday sitting in the dirt, shaking good garden soil out of the roots of quack grass and knapweed. Felt great! Maybe you can sit and crochet outside, wriggling your toes in soil. Makes a lovely mental picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post really ! I apperciate your blog Thanks for sharing,keep sharing more blogs.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete