Sunday, April 10, 2016

So this is spring?

It was 78 degrees Friday, and over 75 this weekend. Crazy, but good. The monsoon season seems to be over, and the garden beckons.

We got awesome news – Liam the grandbaby gets to come home from the neonatal intensive-care unit tomorrow! He was born by emergency c-section on March 22 (his dad's birthday), and he and his parents have been working hard for this. He can finally eat and breathe well on his own. C. is going to spend a day with him this week, and help Em with diapers and fussing. I'd post a photo if I could get it off my bloody cell phone. (I know – I'm old. But I wasn't so old until I tried to make the damn thing perform. Frustration ages one.)

Is other, minor, good news, Dovey is found! I know she wears way too much eye makeup, but we love her anyway.


She appeared in the chicken yard this morning, harassing the new white hen. She looked huge, all puffed up as she strutted importantly around the yard, no longer timid. I followed her back to a secret nest in the old lean-to on the barn. It's full of junk out of the barn attic, with some straw and nest boxes from years ago when it was a chicken house. She had a very large, cosy nest. And when I peered underneath her, I found 25 or more lovely blue eggs. So our chicken numbers may be going to explode. I'm just pleased she's alive.

We introduced the three new healthy hens to Graham and the guineas yesterday.





They were surprised.


              Johnny & Edgar made a play for them, but Graham kicked his feathery butt. 

I found the four of them dusting in a corner of the chicken yard today, all dug into the dry earth, kicking and flapping it around in chicken contentment. Bonding successful.

The other two hens, the ones with the leg mites, are quarantined in the rabbit yard for a week or two. I know I shouldn't have brought infested birds home, but we can treat it, and their former owners weren't going to. They are nice little birds. You can't tell from this photo. I thought it was funny.


So the weekend is winding down. No more chickens in the bathroom (Smokey the rabbit is pleased). We got the outside faucets turned on. C. planted a bunch of peas. And Liam is coming home!


No comments:

Post a Comment