Saturday, July 27, 2013

Visitors

I'm a private person, so it's a little unsettling living in a formerly public building. Nearly every weekend this summer someone has stopped at the gate to peer at the old place. and tell me a little about their school days in the 1930s or 1960s. I'm standing there sweaty and dirt-streaked from hauling rocks or pounding fence posts, but I'm interested in what they have to say. I love this place, too. They are always very nice and stay for just a few minutes. If the place was in better shape and I didn't have biting dogs I'd give them a quick tour. I can see they'd like one. Maybe next year.

Last week it was Elsie and Dave from Portland. She went to first through third grades here in the late '30s. She's 81. She said the place was in much better shape the last time she was here, in the 1970s. It was still a public school then.

Today it was Shane and his wife, from Sacramento. He went here in 1966 and '68. He says we should hold a reunion for all the folks who went to school or worked here. That would be awesome! Maybe everyone could bring photos from their school days. It could be an annual thing (that some outgoing person would organize).

We have a whole lot of work to do before we could hold any kind of event here.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for folks stopping at the gate, and go over and chat with them. I should get some kind of guest book so they can leave contact information or recollections. And some kind of sign that says "Elk Primary School, 1936-1977. Now a private residence." And if I start to get uncomfortable I'll close the gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment