Saturday, March 18, 2017

Breakfast bars for dogs

I'll work on finding a nifty translation for that. How about Canem Prandium? Hunt Frishtik? Hund Morgenmad?

C. is struggling to find something quick and easy for the dogly breakfast, since Rose is running short of eggs, and I'm not making a big batch of oatmeal every morning. They're used to hard-boiled eggs, or oatmeal with molasses and milk, or homemade bread with peanut butter. Peanut butter is out until one of us stirs the new giant Adams jar, which is a big messy job.

So she got out the giant stainless bowl and assembled the ingredients. I'm doing the baking while she rampages in the yard outside.

I insisted we record the recipe so I can make it sometimes. The ingredients are flexible – we use whatever we have on hand. You just want about the same ratio of wet to dry. It's a lot like making bread, which I can't do without a recipe, either – but C. can.


Canem Prandium

Wet ingredients
8 eggs
½ c. oil
3 c. milk
¼ c. molasses
1 ½ c. prunes soaked in 1 ½ c. hot water, then chopped in the food processor. Add the hot water to the mix, too.
Mix all these together

Dry ingredients
8 c. rolled oats
2 c. whole wheat or other flours (but not unhealthy white bleached stuff)
   we used:
     ⅓ c. rice flour
     ⅓ c. coconut flour
     ⅓ c. tapioca flour
     1 c. gluten-free 1-to-1 flour
3 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
Stir these together

Stir the mixed wet and mixed dry together, and gloop into three greased 9x12 pans. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

These freeze well, and the dogs are very pleased with them.



In other exciting country news, I spent some time doing that horrible job that all dog people deal with in early spring. Yep, scooping the poop that melting snow has revealed in the dog yard. Gah. I did half the job, saving the rest for another day. I have a small dog yard, and seven dogs. Sometimes I think we should feed them less, or not at all. Or toilet-train them. Huh.

One egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment